Instructor: Ms. Kowlessar
Junior Band is offered to all students in grades 7-12 who are interested in learning to play a band instrument. Rehearsals take place on Thursdays after school, from 2:20 - 3:45pm. This is a great opportunity to acquire basic performance skills, in a non-threatening, non-competitive environment. Senior musicians are in attendance, to provide instrument-specific support throughout the entire rehearsal. All rehearsals end with time for treats and socializing. Please join us!
Senior Band is offered to students in grades 9-12, who demonstrate an ability to perform repertoire at an advanced level. Rehearsals take place on Wednesdays after school, from 2:20 - 4:30pm. This band focuses on learning and developing repertoire for public performances including concerts, competitive festivals, workshops and band trips. All rehearsals end with time for treats and socializing. Please speak with Ms. K if you are interested in being part of this ensemble.
Jazz Band is offered to students in grades 9-12, who demonstrate an ability to perform repertoire at an advanced level. Rehearsals take place on Mondays after school, from 2:20 - 4:00pm. This band focuses on learning and developing a variety of genres of Jazz repertoire for public performances including concerts, competitive festivals and band trips. Please speak with Ms. K if you are interested in being part of this ensemble.
Chamber Choir is offered to students in grades 9-12, who demonstrate an ability to perform repertoire at an advanced level. Rehearsals take place on Wednesdays and Fridays during lunch, from 10:50 - 11:30am. This choir focuses on learning and developing a variety of genres of choral repertoire for public performances including concerts, competitive festivals, workshops and band trips. Please speak with Ms. K if you are interested in being part of this ensemble. ***NEW: Auditions are required.***
Concert Uniforms for Junior Band consist of navy uniform pants, dark socks and shoes, and a long-sleeved white uniform shirt. Senior Band, Chamber Choir and Jazz Band borrow vests from the Music Department, to wear with their navy uniform pants and long-sleeved white dress shirt. Using our new School Cash Online system, students are asked to pay $10.00 upon receipt of each vest, which covers the cost of dry-cleaning , replacement buttons, etc.
8. OTTAWA CONCERT BAND WORKSHOP FINAL CONCERT:
STUDENTS MUST PROVIDE THEIR OWN TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM THE CONCERT ON WEDNESDAY, MARCH 27.
The concert will take place at Notre Dame Catholic High School - 710 Broadview Avenue, Ottawa.
Students will be asked to arrive around 6:15pm, wearing black bottoms, and a simple t-shirt. A workshop t-shirt will be provided the evening of the show.
This is a free concert, beginning at 7pm and ending at approximately 9pm. Families are encouraged to attend.
7. OTTAWA CONCERT BAND WORKSHOP DETAILS FOR TUESDAY, MARCH 26:
Please report to the Music Room by 8:00am - no later. You have already been excused from your classes for the day.
Please make sure that you are wearing your Band Uniform of Navy Pants, long-sleeved white dress shirt, and Navy Band Vest.
Please bring snacks. You will be provided a 6" sub, a cookie and a drink for lunch.
Please make sure that you have a ride home at 5:00pm, as we will not be back in time for busses.
6. FINAL PAYMENT FOR BOSTON TRIP DUE BY MONDAY, MARCH 4TH: This final payment must be made BY CHEQUE MADE OUT TO ST. MICHAEL C.H.S., for the amount of $235.09 minus Personal Fundraising Totals (posted on Ms. K's Office Door).
5. SPRING NEWSLETTER was handed out on Wednesday, January 16. If you did not receive one, please see attached documents. THIS IS A PERMISSION FORM FOR ALL UPCOMING PERFORMANCES.
4. BOSTON!!! Second payment for Boston is due by Monday, February 4th at the ABSOLUTE LATEST. $250 must be paid using School Cash On-line.
3. CONGRATULATIONS to all Musicians on an excellent Christmas Concert! The compliments continue to pour in, including MANY thank-you's for putting everyone into the Christmas Spirit. Thank you to all of our community members, families, and friends for their generous donations of baked goods, as well as donations at the door. The Music Department was able to raise just under $1300.00, to help subsidize the cost of new instruments, reeds, and busses for various upcoming music events. Merry Christmas to you all!
2. ATTENTION JUNIOR BAND MEMBERS: YOU MUST HAVE A WAY HOME AT 3:45PM ON THURSDAYS, AFTER REHEARSAL. THERE IS NO SUPERVISION FOLLOWING 3:45PM. PLEASE MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR A SAFE WAY HOME IMMEDIATELY AT THE END OF REHEARSAL.
1. Welcome everyone. It is going to be another exciting year for the Music Department. As well, new festivals are being explored for our senior performance groups. Finally, a spring trip is in the makings - please check back regularly for new details.
Keeping in mind that we put on many performances throughout the year, parents, please remind your child that being "part of the band or choir" means that he/she is expected to attend rehearsals on a weekly basis. There is always room to share, when extra-curricular activities conflict. Please encourage your child to speak with Ms. Kowlessar, to set up an equitable schedule.
This year, we are asking students (and parents) to make payments for Music Vests, trips and excursions using our new School Cash Online system. Please contact Ms. Kowlessar or Mrs. Grant (Finance Secretary) if you have questions.
Take a minute and have a look at the calendar. Christmas and Spring Concert dates have been set. Please mark these dates on your calendars at home, and remind Grandmas and Grandpas and neighbours and friends that this is a FANTASTIC way to support Music Education in students' lives.