Instructor: Ms. Kowlessar
Junior Band is offered to all students in grades 7-12 who are interested in learning to play a band instrument. Rehearsals take place on Thursdays after school, from 2:20 - 3:45pm. This is a great opportunity to acquire basic performance skills, in a non-threatening, non-competitive environment. Senior musicians are in attendance, to provide instrument-specific support throughout the entire rehearsal. All rehearsals end with time for treats and socializing. Please join us!
Senior Band is offered to students in grades 9-12, who demonstrate an ability to perform repertoire at an advanced level. Rehearsals take place on Wednesdays after school, from 2:20 - 4:30pm. This band focuses on learning and developing repertoire for public performances including concerts, competitive festivals, workshops and band trips. All rehearsals end with time for treats and socializing. Please speak with Ms. K if you are interested in being part of this ensemble.
Jazz Band is offered to students in grades 9-12, who demonstrate an ability to perform repertoire at an advanced level. Rehearsals take place on Mondays after school, from 2:20 - 4:00pm. This band focuses on learning and developing a variety of genres of Jazz repertoire for public performances including concerts, competitive festivals and band trips. Please speak with Ms. K if you are interested in being part of this ensemble.
Chamber Choir is offered to students in grades 9-12, who demonstrate an ability to perform repertoire at an advanced level. Rehearsals take place on Wednesdays and Fridays during lunch, from 10:50 - 11:30am. This choir focuses on learning and developing a variety of genres of choral repertoire for public performances including concerts, competitive festivals, workshops and band trips. Please speak with Ms. K if you are interested in being part of this ensemble. ***NEW: Auditions are required.***
Concert Uniforms for Junior Band consist of navy uniform pants, dark socks and shoes, and a long-sleeved white uniform shirt. Senior Band, Chamber Choir and Jazz Band borrow vests from the Music Department, to wear with their navy uniform pants and long-sleeved white dress shirt. Using our new School Cash Online system, students are asked to pay $10.00 upon receipt of each vest, which covers the cost of dry-cleaning , replacement buttons, etc.
8. It is with great sadness that I must announce that all upcoming Music Excursions have been cancelled as part of our board's initiative to keep our students healthy and safe. Refunds will be issued for Concert Band Workshop and for the Rochester Trip hopefully within the next six (6) weeks. I am thanking you in advance for your patience, as many staff members must be involved in order to implement the refund procedures, and with our building closed for three weeks, it will be impossible to begin the process prior to the second week of April. We will keep you informed as details become known. Rehearsals will resume in three weeks' time, unless we receive instructions not to do so.
7. CHEQUES FOR ROCHESTER WILL BE CASHED FOLLOWING MARCH BREAK.
6. ROCHESTER PAYMENT SCHEDULE:
2nd payment of $250.00 DUE BEFORE FEBRUARY 5, school cash online
3rd payment of $178.88 minus cookie dough fundraising personal profit DUE BEFORE MARCH 4, cheque
5. ROCHESTER TRIP - FIRST PAYMENT DUE MONDAY, DECEMBER 9, USING SCHOOL CASH ONLINE. PLEASE SEE DETAILS BELOW FOR INSURANCE AND PERMISSION FORM.
4. COOKIE DOUGH ARRIVAL DATE: Tuesday, December 10, 2:10pm. All students who have sold cookie dough must pick up their orders at 2:10pm, and make arrangements to get a ride home at 2:15pm. Please plan ahead! Cookie dough may NOT remain in the Music Room past 2:15pm on Tuesday, December 10th.
3. ATTENTION PARENTS OF SENIOR BAND, JAZZ BAND AND CHAMBER CHOIR: An information letter and Letter of Intent to Participate in the Rochester NY trip was distributed on Wednesday, November 13. Please read, sign and return this letter by FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 22. Thank you!
2. ATTENTION JUNIOR BAND MEMBERS: YOU MUST HAVE A WAY HOME AT 3:45PM ON THURSDAYS, AFTER REHEARSAL. THERE IS NO SUPERVISION FOLLOWING 3:45PM. PLEASE MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR A SAFE WAY HOME IMMEDIATELY AT THE END OF REHEARSAL.
1. Welcome everyone. It is going to be another exciting year for the Music Department. As well, new festivals are being explored for our senior performance groups. Finally, a spring trip is in the makings - please check back regularly for new details.
Keeping in mind that we put on many performances throughout the year, parents, please remind your child that being "part of the band or choir" means that he/she is expected to attend rehearsals on a weekly basis. There is always room to share, when extra-curricular activities conflict. Please encourage your child to speak with Ms. Kowlessar, to set up an equitable schedule.
This year, we are asking students (and parents) to make payments for Music Vests, trips and excursions using our new School Cash Online system. Please contact Ms. Kowlessar or Mrs. Nicholls (Finance Secretary) if you have questions.
Take a minute and have a look at the calendar. Christmas and Spring Concert dates have been set. Please mark these dates on your calendars at home, and remind Grandmas and Grandpas and neighbours and friends that this is a FANTASTIC way to support Music Education in students' lives.