Instructor: Ms. Kowlessar
Junior Band is offered to all students in grades 7-12 who are interested in learning to play a band instrument. Rehearsals take place on Thursdays after school, from 2:20 - 3:45pm. This is a great opportunity to acquire basic performance skills, in a non-threatening, non-competitive environment. Senior musicians are in attendance, to provide instrument-specific support throughout the entire rehearsal. All rehearsals end with time for treats and socializing. Please join us!
Senior Band is offered to students in grades 9-12, who demonstrate an ability to perform repertoire at an advanced level. Rehearsals take place on Wednesdays after school, from 2:20 - 4:30pm. This band focuses on learning and developing repertoire for public performances including concerts, competitive festivals, workshops and band trips. All rehearsals end with time for treats and socializing. Please speak with Ms. K if you are interested in being part of this ensemble.
Jazz Band is offered to students in grades 9-12, who demonstrate an ability to perform repertoire at an advanced level. Rehearsals take place on Mondays after school, from 2:20 - 4:00pm. This band focuses on learning and developing a variety of genres of Jazz repertoire for public performances including concerts, competitive festivals and band trips. Please speak with Ms. K if you are interested in being part of this ensemble.
Chamber Choir is offered to students in grades 9-12, who demonstrate an ability to perform repertoire at an advanced level. Rehearsals take place on Wednesdays and Fridays during lunch, from 10:50 - 11:30am. This choir focuses on learning and developing a variety of genres of choral repertoire for public performances including concerts, competitive festivals, workshops and band trips. Please speak with Ms. K if you are interested in being part of this ensemble. ***NEW: Auditions are required.***
Concert Uniforms for Junior Band consist of navy uniform pants, dark socks and shoes, and a long-sleeved white uniform shirt. Senior Band, Chamber Choir and Jazz Band borrow vests from the Music Department, to wear with their navy uniform pants and long-sleeved white dress shirt. Using our new School Cash Online system, students are asked to pay $10.00 upon receipt of each vest, which covers the cost of dry-cleaning , replacement buttons, etc.
5. ATTENTION PARENTS OF SENIOR BAND, JAZZ BAND AND CHAMBER CHOIR: An information letter and Letter of Intent to Participate in the Rochester NY trip was distributed on Wednesday, November 13. Please read, sign and return this letter by FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 22. Thank you!
4. COOKIE DOUGH ORDERS WILL NOW BE ACCEPTED UNTIL WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, DUE TO THE SNOW DAY ON NOVEMBER 12. PLEASE BRING ANY REMAINING ORDERS TO MS. KOWLESSAR, IN THE MUSIC ROOM, BEFORE 8AM ON WEDNESDAY MORNING.
3. Cookie Dough Fundraising Packages have been distributed. ALL musicians - Junior Band, Senior Band, Jazz Band and Chamber Choir are asked to sell at least 1 tub! Fundraising profits will help subsidize individual trip prices for students. Junior Band will have a trip to the NAC in the spring. The Senior Groups will hopefully travel to Rochester for 4 days in the spring. ORDER FORMS ARE DUE NO LATER THAN NOVEMBER 12. NO EXCEPTIONS.
2. ATTENTION JUNIOR BAND MEMBERS: YOU MUST HAVE A WAY HOME AT 3:45PM ON THURSDAYS, AFTER REHEARSAL. THERE IS NO SUPERVISION FOLLOWING 3:45PM. PLEASE MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR A SAFE WAY HOME IMMEDIATELY AT THE END OF REHEARSAL.
1. Welcome everyone. It is going to be another exciting year for the Music Department. As well, new festivals are being explored for our senior performance groups. Finally, a spring trip is in the makings - please check back regularly for new details.
Keeping in mind that we put on many performances throughout the year, parents, please remind your child that being "part of the band or choir" means that he/she is expected to attend rehearsals on a weekly basis. There is always room to share, when extra-curricular activities conflict. Please encourage your child to speak with Ms. Kowlessar, to set up an equitable schedule.
This year, we are asking students (and parents) to make payments for Music Vests, trips and excursions using our new School Cash Online system. Please contact Ms. Kowlessar or Mrs. Nicholls (Finance Secretary) if you have questions.
Take a minute and have a look at the calendar. Christmas and Spring Concert dates have been set. Please mark these dates on your calendars at home, and remind Grandmas and Grandpas and neighbours and friends that this is a FANTASTIC way to support Music Education in students' lives.